I'll bet that I'm the only adult on the planet who saw Camp Rock three times this weekend. Right, not once, not twice, but three times.
It was a nice movie, but by the third run, the charm was starting to wear thin.
My 7 year old son , Zane, had a hard time staying awake for a show that started at 8PM, so we kept trying -- Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night. At 8PM all three nights. With Zane asleep by 9 each time.
Personally, I can't really leave a movie midway through unless I'm really disliking it, so I sat there all three nights until the movie ended.
Damon was a little puzzled by my initial enthusiasm on Saturday morning. I explained that "It had a nice message, and it was kind of romantic." The music was fun, in a teen-ish pop kind of way. I won't be running out to buy the CD, but it wasn't bad for that sort of thing.
In my gee-that-was-romantic haze, I asked Damon "Do you think I'm too too old to become a Jonas Brothers groupie? Oh, yea, I guess I am." He reminded me that I am old enough to be a parent to these guys (close enough, anyhow).
The movie had a positive "be yourself" theme. It was timely, given the last dozen or so talks we've had with Zane about the importance of doing what he knows is right (versus what the class creep pressures him to do).
I don't remember peer pressure being like this at 7. I figured we'd have the serious anti-drug and sex talks around age 9 or 10. Ha! We've been pushing the anti-drug message since he was 4, and I don't think we started a day too soon.
As for the sex talks, he insisted on knowing exactly how babies are made about 6 months ago. Holy freaking cow. I passed that one off on his Dad. "Good luck with that, sweetie."
Dad was pretty thorough, and no doubt scared the hell out of the kid.
Then, about a month ago, he tells us that the boys can see [girl's name] panties when she sits down and/or goes on the slide, monkey bars, etc. Gosh, I'm so glad to hear that he is noticing these things already. I told the girl's Dad that it's time for her to start wearing shorts under her skirts because the boys are getting a cheap thrill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment